If you have been an indie writer (or, indeed, any type of writer) for a while you will have stumbled across the concept of an Author Platform. This is usually a website, independent of social media platforms, where your audience can view your writing, subscribe to a your newsletter, and generally keep up with anything you care to share with them. The general consensus is that you require one in your indie writing career. Building one can be daunting, so I’ve gathered together 27 Author Website Resources to help out.
As with my 27 Author Email Newsletter Resources post, the resources are actually blog articles. I’ve divided them into categories and provided the blog article title, link, author, and date published.
Why You Should Build an Author Website
- 9 Reasons Why Your New Book Needs a Website, by Kevin Nelson, 2017
- 9 Author Website Trends You Need to Know About, by Diana Urban, 2016
- This Is The Reason Your Author Platform Impacts Book Sales, by Rachel Thompson, 2016
How to Build an Author Website
- How to build the ultimate author website (in 1 hour), By Tim Grahl, 2017.
- Build a More Effective Author Website, by Jane Friedman, 2012
- The 5 Basic Elements of an Author Website, by Frances Cabello, 2015
- Creating Author Websites: The Definitive Guide, by Mary Jaksch, Date unknown, probably 2015 or 2016
- 12 Essential Blog or Website Pages, by Nina Amir, 2015
- Naming and claiming your author website, by Sandra Beckwith, 2017
- How to Create a Website That Works in 10 Easy Steps, by Penny Sansevieri, 2016
- Author Website Series: Table of Contents, by Darcy Pattison, 2014
- How To Build Your Own Online Platform, by Lucy V, Hay, 2017
Strategies for Author Websites
- How to Get Traffic to Your Author Website: 30+ Tips for Discouraged Writers, by Kimberley Grabas, 2014
- Why You Should Market to Grow Your Author Platform–Not to Sell Books, by Matt Aird, 2017
- 10 Pages You Should Include in Your Author Website, by Shelley Hitz, Date unknown, probably 2015 to 2016
- What Belongs on an Author Website Homepage? 4 Key Elements, by Jane Friedman, 2017
- Ten Critical Elements of a Perfect Author Website, Shari Stauch, 2016
- 7 ways to improve your author website, by Madison Kennerley, 2017
- The Insider’s Guide to Author Websites: Set Your Foundation, by Tyler Doornbos, 2017
- Why Indie Authors’ Websites Need to Evolve Over Time, by Debbie Young, 2017
- Author Websites, Blogs, and Book Sales Pages, by Joel Friedlander, 2015
Inspiration for Your Author Website
- 29 Author Websites with Stellar Designs, by Diana Urban, 2016
Other Tools For Use in Developing your Author Website
- 140 Tools and Resources for Building Your Author Website and/or Blog, by Sabrina Ricci, 2017
- The Kindle Instant Previews Tool for Indie Authors’ Websites, by Randy Stapilus, 2016
- Why I Started Using Pop-Ups on My Website, by Jane Friedman, 2016
- Seven Sizzling Author Website Analytic Tools, by Shari Stauch, 2016
- Build Your Author Platform With This Free Marketing Spreadsheet, by Alicia de los Reyes, 2016
This list is not complete, of course, and a simple google search will yield still more resources. However, I’ve read each of the linked articles and they all provide something of value.
That’s it for this post.
Do you have any “go-to” articles on building an Author Website? If so, please share them in the comments!
Thanks for reading and I will see you again next time.
2 Replies to “27 Author Website Resources”
Thanks so much for including one of my posts on this list! I really appreciate it and feel honored you included me in such good company.
Not a problem, Nina! I often read your stuff and thought it would be great to include a link in this list. 🙂